Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

Display Grid Slider

Grid Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

Display Instagram Footer

Literacy Centers & Friday Freebie!


Happy Friday! 

So, I started my new literacy centers and rotations this week!  Centers are awesome for our kiddos, but it does take a LONG time to get everything organized! This is how I have done mine for this year....

I have my class divided into 5 groups, based off their independent reading levels.  There are no more than 4 students in a group.  I have 5 center rotations throughout the week so that each group will visit each station once a week.  I have my groups labled as safari animals and their group picture will rotate throughout the center signs each day!


My five rotations include:
 Reading with Teacher (my guided reading group),
Spelling center (students will complete a fun spelling craftivity or activity with the words of the week),
 Literacy Tubs (students will pull a large envelope from the literacy tub which includes concepts that have recently been introduced in the class or reviewed),
Sight Word Center (students will be completing activities that focus on sight words)
Writing Center (This center has students writing on a topic and illustrating their writing)

Below are some examples of the centers:

One of the literacy tubs (this activity is focusing on blends!)
 
This is the sight word activity for this week.  Very simple....washed out gatorade bottles, filled with words and rice!  Students will complete the Shake & Read form as they find their words!  I painted the lids on the bottles and labeled them 1-6, depending on which six weeks we introduce the sight words in!  The kids LOVE this center!!
 
I have a large shelf in my room with each of the centers labeled and organized for the students:
 
The baskets contain the recording sheets that students will need with the center!  After the rotation is over, students turn in the recording sheets in the blue bucket!
 
 
In my class, students will take home a baggie with their reading book all week (to build fluency and comprehension!).  They take home their reading log, parent letter explaining our reading program in the classroom, and their baggie of sight words for the six weeks!
 
 
So far, the students L.O.V.E. these centers!  I love how they can work independently and still be engaged in learning! 
 
 
Now....onto a Friday Freebie!  With Thanksgiving so close...what better than a Thanksgiving writing craftivity?!  I know a lot of teachers have off ALL of next week, but not me!  I still go Monday and Tuesday, so my firsties will be doing some extra Thanksgiving activities! 
 
This is one that we will be doing:
 
 
How to Catch a Turkey!!
 
We will plan our writing, then using the feathers, they will write the steps! 
 
Just click on the picture for your freebie!!!
 
 
Hope everyone has a great weekend....and if you are off all next week....have a GREAT THANKSGIVING!!! 
 


 
QuickEdit
Jessica Travis
0 Comments
Share :

No comments:

Post a Comment

[name=Jessica Travis] [img=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1xE1IzR7tPk/WS2xOR4pQHI/AAAAAAAAYAw/twJhPfbKbUw54xSFHmNG4q7F95D3gBMEQCK4B/s1600/profile.jpg] [description=Hello!! ] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/WildAboutFirsties/) (shop=https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Jessica-Travis) (instagram=https://www.instagram.com/wildaboutfirsties/) (googleplus=https://plus.google.com/111251384455526442516) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/jtravis0912/) (bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/wild-about-firsties-5562953)

Follow @wildaboutfirsties