Planning for Small Groups!

Welcome to February sweet friends!  

Man.... January just slipped right in and back out again.  It seems like we JUST had Christmas!  

We are getting our feet pretty wet in the world of Guided Reading down in the world of kindergarten! We don't really start our full on guided reading until January, mainly focusing on small intervention groups during the first half of the year and building those important foundation skills to lead us into reading!

With different groups, different skills, and pretty much different everything for each set of students, I wanted a quick and effective way of planning and organizing this to help me run my hour of guided reading as smooth as possible!  (And I wanted to share this with YOU!)

Note:  This post is NOT about what I do in my groups as far as the activities, printables, etc...(that's for a whole different post!).... but this is just a quick overview as to how I plan for those groups!


I just wanted to share really quick these easy and effective printables/ideas to help you plan for your small groups.  


Materials:
- Binder
- Sheet Protectors
- Post it Notes (I like a variety of colors!)
- The FREE printables at the end of this post!


My binder is definitely nothing fancy.... but helps me keep everything in ONE place for my groups!


When I open my binder, I keep all of the extra copies of reading logs, planning pages, etc....

I place sheet protectors in my binder to easily place the printables inside of!  

The first thing I will see is my group listings that show the group and what students are in each group.  

I place the sheet inside of the sheet protector, then place the post-it notes on top of the sheet protector.  Groups will definitely change throughout the semester and instead of having to complete re-write an entire group sheet, I can easily just change the post-its that need to be re-written!
(And.... adding a pop of color doesn't hurt either :)


Behind my group listing sheet, I will have a lesson plan for each group.

I place the sheet inside the sheet protector and use a dry erase marker to write the week and group number.

I place TWO post-its inside of the skills box, (1) for new words/vocabulary for the particular lesson(s)   and (2) for the skills that we will work on during the lessons.

I also write the book being used and level, and then I make notes after I meet with the group.



I can easily see each group throughout the week and the skills that will be used!  



Inside my binder you will also see RTI - Data sheets.  I place the sheet inside of the sheet protector and then I can write the student's name and subject (if you are doing reading groups, math posts, or just an intervention group!)

I have the page set up for 3 weeks, because after 3 weeks of intervention, we should be taking a look at our student's progress and making the necessary changes in our plans as needed! 

On the post-its, I write the skills that will be focused on (beginning sounds, blending sounds, etc...)  Then the bottom boxes will be for results (8/10, 70%, etc...)  You can easily write on the sheet to keep in student file OR use a dry erase marker and then take a picture for student files.  

***I do NOT do an RTI sheet for every student.... just those that are below level ***


While this is just a QUICK overview, (and I focused on Guided Reading)... you can easily use these for any subject that you teach in small groups! I do plan on coming back soon to share guided reading in much more detail!  

In the meantime... you can grab these printables (for FREE) by clicking on the pictures below!




Hopefully this can help you plan a little easier.... or just have some useful printables for what you already have in place!

Until next time....

HAPPY TEACHING!


2 comments

  1. Thanks a bunch for the planning pages - I needed a good and easy to use/keep up with system for documenting my GR groups - you rock!! Have a great weekend :D
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! My GR binder needed a refresh and these are perfect:)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top